Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Podcasting

To be honest, I'm not nearly as excited about podcasts as I used to be. Once upon a time I thought podcasts would be awesome. I was sadly disappointed.

This is not because podcasts themselves aren't a good idea. It's just that I don't have the time/inclination to listen to them.

Example: I subscribed to the podcast for my morning radio, The Riot on 88.7. I thought I'd listen to the podcast on days when, for whatever reason, I missed the show. Then all of a sudden I realized it was a month later and I had this whole mess of episodes built up that I was never going to get to. So I deleted them all, unsubscribed, and there you have it.

I was looking around PodcastAlley to see if there was anything that caught my eye, and I just wasn't getting excited. All the library ones either had nothing to do with libraries or sounded very dull. All the ones I searched for using my fandoms were either low on material (Harry Potter news? Really? There's no Harry Potter news any more...) or too broad (really it's a podcast about comic books but Neil Gaiman's name just happened to be in the keywords.)

I think what it really comes down to for me is that podcasts are just a place for people to hear themselves talk. I tend to get very irritated when people are talking just for talking's sake - I like silence, I like quiet - and I *especially* get irritated when they're ranting, like pundits on TV or most radio personalities. Why would I subscribe to something that is basically stuff I don't like? And, as seen above, even when it *is* something I like, I won't like it enough to actually force myself to listen to it at a future point.

So, all in all, I think podcasts are a lost cause for me. I'm sure there are people who enjoy them - the people that watch talk shows and listen to radio personalities - and that's fine. Me, I'm going to pass on getting any deeper into this one.

No comments: